• Search
  • Register
  • Ace of Spades Game Forums » Suggestions
  • Note: This forum is merely an archive. It is no longer possible to login or register. - StackOverflow
    New Ace of Spades Forums: http://buildandshoot.com/
  • Suggestion: Damage adjustments (body shots instant kill)
  •  

1. Proposal to make heart/body shots instant kill,
    2. Headshots to not instant kill but still do significant damage. This way fortifications give an advantage.
    http://aceofspadeswiki.com/index.php?title=Health/Damage

Link to voting system: http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=6f3a1&t=6f3a1.40&f=6f3a1.4fa675&q=6f3a1.4fa675&v=4

EDIT: I have changed the title of the thread so that it no longer includes the word helmet.

PinkDozer
    Blue/Green
    Posted 12 years ago

Why does the headshot tag automatically capitalize and the other words lose their capital initial?

PinkDozer
    Blue/Green
    Posted 12 years ago

Helmets aren't meant to protect your head from bullets. They're made so you don't die from concussions by explosives.

Bobbunny
    Teh One Bunneh
    Posted 12 years ago

I have a feeling a rifle round could pentrate a helmet though.

[MLG]Nowa90
    Rifleman/Modder
    Posted 12 years ago

Unless it had a penetrating magazine/clip loaded in, then no.

S0ldi3rKr4s0
    Combine
    Posted 12 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Helmet
    vs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8x57mm_IS
    Either you die from the bullet penetration, or you die/suffer concussions and more things from the actual hit.

If
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x51mm_NATO
    can go through steel, than a bigger bullet at a some what close range should go through the helmet.

Bobbunny
    Teh One Bunneh
    Posted 12 years ago

In short: IRL getting shot in the head is a VERY, VERY BAD THING.

The problem is, this ain't IRL. I do support keeping the current damage to the head.

JosephAllen129
    Imperial Guardsman
    Posted 12 years ago

DO I HAVE TO REPEAT MY SELF ( I would have made that a url to my other no on smaller heads post if I knew how, bunny guy, do it).

[17th]CaptainGT
    SLINGSHOT READY?
    Posted 12 years ago

DO I HAVE TO REPEAT MY SELF

Once again, here ya go.

Bobbunny
    Teh One Bunneh
    Posted 12 years ago

The last time I was shot in the heart I died. (I have edited the thread title so that the word Helmet is no longer included).

To expand: The helmet is just an inconsequential justification to my damage proposals. This thread is about improving gameplay.

Also, people are conspicuous in their absence from this thread so far. I wonder if the reason is because headshots being instant kill is such a staple in computer games that the suggestion is immediately deemed stupid. Believe me I thought long and hard about even posting this thread because of that. But I genuinely think the suggestion would massively improve gameplay. And you would still die in two headshots.

Where the suggestion would really start to shine is if player placed health crates or similar were added to the game. These two additions would compliment each other very nicely so that player created infrastructure is central to the gameplay. This is Ace of Spades unique angle after all.

PinkDozer
    Blue/Green
    Posted 12 years ago

I don't really think that getting shot in the chest is instant death. The chest is your center of mass, it is the easiest place to shoot at. That is why people wear bulletproof vests. Also, the chest contains a lot of non vital organs, so really unless you have perfect aim a chest shot can really is a game of luck. Getting shot in the non vitals can cause bleed out, but not instant death.

The head however has one large ball vital organ right in the middle. And unlike in a lot of video games getting shot in the head doesn't cause it to explode. No, it is much worse. In the case of most smaller bullets the round can make it into the skull, but not out. This causes the bullet to bounce around through the brain tissue killing "instantly."

So, getting shot in the head is very rarely not an instant kill while getting shot in the chest is about a 50 50 chance. So for the sake of programming the head is instant and the chest is just better than the limbs.

Drewgon13
    SMG supporter
    Posted 12 years ago

For headshots, IMO it's the force, trauma, or actual penetration that will murder you.

Bobbunny
    Teh One Bunneh
    Posted 12 years ago

MegaDeuce, Beret, Marksmanship etc, any thoughts? Also if a mod sees this message can you clean up the thread for me please.

Picture the gameplay.
    You spawn and run forward to the first line of cover. Peaking over you get shot in the head and reduced to 10 health. Luckily a team mate has placed his heath dispenser near by behind a small wall. You place blocks connecting the two bits of cover while you crawl closer to the health dispenser and patch yourself up.

Knowing where the enemy sniper is located now, you pop up again from a different angle and blast him. He disappears from sight and you take the opportunity to dart forward to the second line of cover. Out of nowhere, a grenade comes over the top, but keeping your cool, an opening in a nearby bunker presents itself and leaping in saves your life. Your teammates were not so lucky and two lie dead when you turn to see. A third teammate who was caught by the nade blast decides to look over the top. He doesnt last long.

Sensing this has become the new frontline you deploy your own health tent in the bunker and a small marker indicates it on the map. Atleast you know your team stands a better chance now if they make it this far, as you punch out a window with the pick and reload your rifle...

(bumping with flare)

PinkDozer
    Blue/Green
    Posted 12 years ago

I think damage is fine how it is.
    You just have to stay hidden, and then eliminate the sniper.
    The medic thing is cool though.

[EX]Frosty
    Best Served Chilled
    Posted 12 years ago

In pyspades, you can override on_hit and give a different return value, so you could effectively make damage adjustments.

mat^2
    pyspades developer
    Posted 12 years ago

Just reduce head size.

Seriously, how can having 1/3 of your body be an instakill hit be balanced at all? I remember when headshots took skill.

CommandoDude
    Posted 12 years ago

the head size can't be reduced, if it is then the soldier won't look as cute anymore

Priok
    Spectonaut
    Posted 12 years ago

Then make it so the top of the head isn't an instakill zone.

Maybe then people can hide behind fortifications and not expect to be oneshotted.

That would actually make a REAL sniper rifle useful.

CommandoDude
    Posted 12 years ago

Thanks bunny.

[17th]CaptainGT
    SLINGSHOT READY?
    Posted 12 years ago

The thing about headshots, and why they've always been so popular in games, is that the head is usually a smaller, harder to hit target than the torso. Generally a headshot is only achieved when the attacker is specifically aiming for it. The torso, on the other hand, is always the easiest part of a person to hit- it's the largest single area, it's dead centre, and you can safely shoot at it knowing that if you miss you're still likely to hit some other part of the body. It's like a dartboard- if you aim for the bullseye and miss you'll still score something, but everyone knows the real points are in the tiny triple twenty above the bullseye.

The bigger the risk/challenge to achieve something, the bigger the reward should be- it's a fundamental part of game design. Heads are smaller, and move about more than any other part of the body ingame (crouching doesn't move the rest of the body nearly as much). so a successful headshot should be rewarded with an instant kill, if a game has one. Body shots, on the other hand, take less precise aiming to get, so they shouldn't deal as great a reward.

Oddly enough real life works on similar principles, but I'm ignoring realism because realism is often at odds with good gameplay. In this case though it's quite reasonable.

Beret
    Commando
    Posted 12 years ago

You can't reduce the damage to the helmet because that's where the camera is mounted. Things aren't seen from the eyes, they are seen from the middle part of the helmet.

The current system works fine. Why would you want to change it?

Pvt Ryan
    Gold Member
    Posted 12 years ago

Because headshots are way too easy?

A normally proportionate body is about 8 headlengths.

The AoS figure is about 4 headlengths.

I think that says something.

CommandoDude
    Posted 12 years ago

That bodyshots are easier than headshots?

Pvt Ryan
    Gold Member
    Posted 12 years ago
    RSS feed for this topic  

You must log in to post.

• Tags
  •  

•  
    Ace of Spades Game Forums is proudly powered by bbPress.   //   Theme by Mike Lothar  
    [ Time : 0.341s | 13 Queries ]